Graduate Project Engineer | Full-time | Coventry, UK
Join a fast paced growing business with a Dream, a set of guiding principles and a lively atmosphere. We believe in experimentation, continuous learning and asking for forgiveness rather than permission (a right you earn). We want you to come help us make stuff – but not just anything, game-changing technologies from concept through to production. We expect all our employees to make a difference, probably by making some mistakes along the way. This role is not for the faint hearted though, expect a hard graft from day 1 – some of our projects demand long hours and as we’re a start-up with an ambitious Dream and a disruptive business model, the road ahead is challenging. In return you will be empowered, you will be engaged, and your career will flourish.
This role requires a graduate from a mechanical or manufacturing engineering discipline. You will join a dynamic graduate programme that provides you with exposure and opportunity to develop your understanding and skillsets in the commercial, supply chain, operations and project management functions of our business, in addition to core engineering capabilities. The role will require you to collaboratively interact with a wide range of external stakeholders, including customers (OEMs, technology developers) and partners (suppliers, government organisations). We will require you to demonstrate strong analytical and communication skills, and a working knowledge of CAD systems.
Productiv needs thinkers, but also people who can take action! Your development will be focused on gaining a broad understanding of the end to end product development process including Manufacturing processes, Bottom up cost modelling, Supply chain quality requirements, Business quality processes, Lean process and facility design, Process technology development, Market analysis, selection and validation….and much more – this delivers unrivaled joined up thinking that’s required in today’s complex world of innovation.
Using this broad knowledge you’ll be given the responsibility you need to flourish and explore your strengths.
Over the course of a 2 year graduate programme, we will work with you and challenge you on your professional development path – we’ll help you discover what really excites you about engineering!
Objectives & Key Activities
- Support grant funded projects as a technical facilitator, and eventually leader
- Support Technology Development Projects to ensure transition of technologies into products through application of technology, manufacturing and commercial readiness levels
- Support the establishment of manufacturing engineering processes and documentation that meet the expectations of OEM customers
- Support the development of the assembly facility and associated equipment
- Deliver customer facing engineering reports and presentations
- Take ownership of business improvement and capability development activities, building business cases and work packages, having your say on the direction of the business
- Generation of reports as required for Project and Management meetings
- Interpretation and analysis of supplied engineering drawings and CAD models
- Revision control of information supplied and maintenance of Bills of Materials etc
- Support production preparation to ensure smooth volume production ramp-up
- Interact and support projects across key functions; Market Analysis & Commercialisation, Manufacturing Engineering, Design Engineering, Supply Chain Management and Project Management
Required Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to use industry standard CAD software to interrogate and manipulate models supplied
- Well grounded base knowledge of manufacturing processes and techniques
- Understanding of new product introduction tools and techniques
- Awareness of design evaluation and review techniques
- IT literate (competent user of MS products e.g. Excel)
Education & Experience
Engineering Degree or equivalent
- Good communication skills internally, externally and with all management levels
- Strong facilitation skills
- Willingness to travel both nationally and internationally at reasonable notice
- Highly motivated, positive, flexible, team player
- A fast learner
If you’re up for a challenge, a CV alone will not suffice. We are ‘constructively discontent’, therefore to get to an interview we want you to impress us!
Reporting to: Engineering Manager (initially, line management on rotation)
Industries: Automotive, Aerospace, Agricultural, Mobile Power, Marine, Materials Handling, Powertrain, Rail and many more!